Sunday, March 20, 2011

Flashback

A one-page article in one of my interior design trade publications recently sent me on a journey back to the long-ago.  It is called "The Fiber of Her Life" and announces the opening of a 50-year retrospective show by fiber artist Sheila Hicks,  opening on March 24 at Philadelphia's Institute of Contemporary Art.

Having been a fiber artist for longer than I care to remember, the name and the photos caught my eye.  Sheila Hicks was one of my heros, back when I was raising children and found an all-consuming creative outlet in weaving and fiber art.  Her work provided inspiration not only with color and design, but also in thinking outside of the box.  Because of her talent and focus she became and still is the premier international fiber artist. 

This is one of the many commissioned pieces she has created.  

Lucky you if you are in the Philadelphia area and can take advantage of this show.  I wish I could get there!

Art is a fickle muse.  Sometimes it leads you with focus and determination, and at other times it presents a fork in the road with other opportunities.  For me, this show represents not only a lesson in "what might have been" ..... but also makes me appreciate my interior design career more:  I'm now in a position to showcase art of all kinds, providing opportunities for those talented artists following their own paths.  Thank you, Sheila Hicks, once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment